Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Living on the edge of water....Tsunami warning!

I'm sure we've all thought about what'd we'd grab if our house was burning down. I thought about it a lot too thinking that I'd grab pictures (memories) and my Bible (what else would a Christian want?) and other small sentimental things...well Saturday morning Eddie and I got a chance to experience this and find out what we'd REALLY bring.

Around 10:30 we were awoken (sleepy Saturday off) by a hard rushed knock on our door. The first thought that jumped into both of our heads was that there was some sort of accident and they needed Eddie as the nurse. When the door was opened we saw one of our fellow YWAMers there looking panicked.

"There is a Tsunami Warning for here, we are all evacuating. You need to grab your passports and leave NOW!"

We ran back into our rooms to get dressed. I ran down a few doors down to where my sister, Aliza and Eddie's brother, Bobby, live (yes, brothers married sisters and are neighbors. It's great). Because they aren't YWAMers YWAM hadn't contacted them. They too started the hustle of grabbing a few things and running to their car. Bobby's response was "well, we gotta go!"

What did we bring? Eddie first grabbed our little file box of legal papers then started getting the cat's stuff (food and litter) and our laptops while I run around like crazy trying to figure out what to do. My first thought was "clothes" but when I went to grab a suitcase I thought "WHAT AM I DOING" and grabbed a plastic bag and ran for the bathroom. I grabbed our toothbrushes (who wants to be stranded without a home and no toothbrush?) and a few other toiletries. We jumped in the car and drove off to my mother-in-law who lives up in the hills.

While driving away my mind rushed back to all the things we had left. Eddie forgot his wedding rings and my mind wanders to our wedding albums and my Bible - the things I always said I'd grab first.

Obviously nothing happened, no Tsunami praise God. We had a bit of an exciting experience finding out what our reaction would be to an immediate evacuation!

No comments: