Saturday, August 22, 2009

Reflections on my time in Mexico

The same mirror that I saw my reflection in five years ago now shows me a completely different reflection. These past five years have changed me forever. I came here not knowing what to expect but full of passion to help. I’ve built houses, worked in kitchens, done dramas, trained youth, hosted teams, prayed with and discipled people, taught children, and overall seen lives change. I’ve passed through many hard times, but with God on my side I made it. I wanted to give up but God had His hand on me to stay. With reason too, if I had left I would have never met and married the man who has made my life so much better. God has brought me through this and used it to refine me, like gold. I still have many blemishes but the process is underway. I have grown to trust in Him, I have seen His faithfulness firsthand, I’ve seen Him do miracles, and so much more. I would never trade the days I’ve had here for anything. I have so many memories, memories of mothers crying as we hand them the keys to their home, of children running, laughing and smiling as they see were their bed is, seeing lives changed. But most important thing I will bring from this experience is closeness to God, an intimate life changing friendship with the Creator of the World.

No comments: